Alpha Psi Lambda does not encourage, condone or tolerate hazing in any form. We believe that Associate Member and Member educational programs should be of a positive and constructive nature and is unequivocally opposed to hazing because it does not add positively to the Associate Member's or Member's understanding of the history, purposes or traditions of the Fraternity.
No Chapter, Affiliate Chapter or member shall conduct nor condone hazing activities. The term “hazing” means any intentional, knowing, or reckless act committed by a person, whether individually or in concert with other persons, against any individual or group of individuals, regardless of affiliation, whether or not committed on Alpha Psi Lambda property, for the purpose of recruiting, joining, pledging, initiating, admitting, affiliating, or for the purpose of retaining membership in an organization that causes an individual or group of individuals to do any of the following, regardless of a person’s willingness to participate:
- Be coerced to violate federal, state, provincial, local law, or Alpha Psi Lambda policy.
- Be coerced to consume any food, liquid, alcoholic liquid, drug, or other substance in any non-customary manner which subjects the individual or group of individuals to a substantial risk of emotional or physical harm which includes but not limited to sickness, vomiting, intoxication, or unconsciousness.
- Be coerced into any requirement that challenges an individual’s genuine moral and/or religious beliefs.
- Be required to walk in a line, walk with their arms locked or line up in public.
- Endure brutality of a physical nature, including but not limited to whipping, beating, paddling, branding, dangerous physical activity, or exposure to elements or endure threats of such conduct that results in mental or physical harm.
- Endure brutality of a mental nature, including but not limited to activity adversely affecting the mental health or dignity of the individual including the wearing of public apparel which is conspicuous and not normally in good taste, verbal abuse, sleep deprivation, exclusion from social contact or conduct that could result in extreme embarrassment or endure threats of such conduct that results in mental or physical harm, forced activities that are sexual in nature, including use of pornography.
- Endure any activity related to kidnappings, stranding or transporting any Associate Member against his/her will, forced or required road trips.
- Endure any other activity which adversely affects the health and safety of an individual, including but not limited to the disruption of academic performance or class attendance, required designated driving programs, line ups, calisthenics, or personal, physical, or financial servitude.
- Endure call outs – Unscheduled activities in which Associate Members are asked to meet at a location at a certain time by the membership within the next 24 hours. All activities and meetings with the Associate Members must be scheduled in advance.
- Blindfolding and parading individuals in public areas, blindfolding and transporting in a motor vehicle, or privately conducting blindfolding activities that serve no constructive purpose.
- Binding or restricting an individual in any way that would prohibit them from moving on their own.
The hotline provides an anonymous telephone line for anyone to report a suspected or recent hazing
1-888-NOT-HAZE (1-888-668-4293) accepts calls 24 hours a day